Let’s just pretend that I never stopped blogging here, shall we?
This is a vegan breakfast porridge inspired by a yummy-looking meal my co-worker had at work last week. I’ve recently been advised to avoid oats (which I’m doing, against my better judgment), but I’ve wanted a warm, porridge-y breakfast during the recent spot of cold weather. This came together quickly, and makes 4 portions, so it’s a quick batch that makes several breakfasts.
- 1 c. quinoa
- ½ c. water
- ½ c. coconut milk (canned variety, light is fine)
- ½ c. non-dairy milk (can add more coconut milk, if desired)
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened flake coconut
- 2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 1 medium apple, chopped in large dice
- Heat medium-sized saucepan over medium heat
- Add quinoa, and stir to toast, approximately 3 minutes
- Remove pan from heat and add milks and water. Be careful, as the liquid is likely to spit.
- Replace pan on burner, and add coconut, flaxseed, and apple
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes
- Remove pan from heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes
- Fluff, and enjoy!
- As desired, you can add additional toppings, such as chopped nuts, maple syrup, cinnamon, and more.